There is no denying that Filipinos have become more and more self-aware with their daily diet. People search for alternatives to everyday treats and switch into healthier options as much as possible.
The Department of Science and Technology (DOST), in the effort to provide innovative solutions to the masses, has developed over the years a number of food products that are not just focused on health and nutrition, but appealing to the taste of the public as well.
Aligned with this goal, the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI) recently announced the completion of Freedom-to-Operate (FTO) Reports for 35 DOST-Funded technologies. These technologies, upon identifying the possible risks of infringing existing patents and justifying the valuation of their IP, are now likely to proceed into the next stage which is commercialization.
With this development, it should be expected that more of DOST’s products will become available in the market in the next coming years.
Below are some products developed by the Food and Nutrition Research Institute (DOST-FNRI):
- Mango Puree thickened with Nata De Coco
- A ready-to-drink beverage from green mangoes thickened using nata de coco
- Extruded Ready to Fry Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Extruded ready to fry frozen products similar to French fries but are made up of sweet potato, rice flour and cooking oil.
- Rice-Mongo Curls
- Low-cost and nutrient-rich complementary food snacks perfect for schoolchildren
- Instant Germinated Brown Rice Beverage
- Chocolate or vanilla flavored drink made from germinated brown rice, milk and sugar
- Instant Laing
- The famous Bicolano dish made available in can
EARL MATTHEW SD. SABILE